Monday, May 05, 2008

Belly Dancing - about costumes

We have always thought of belly dancing as done only by sexy women in fancy costumes. But look at the first video I've shown here. The instructor is male, he's wearing only t-shirt and pants, but he is obviously belly dancing!

One more thing, it is better to go barefoot. So what could be simpler than that? Just wear whatever you want, anything comfortable. Having said that, costumes will make you feel like a real dancer.

In this video, we'll learn tips and tricks on finding sensual belly dancing costumes for dance performances, exercises and entertainment.



As for me, a belly dancing hip scarf is just what I need to set me in right mood to sway my hips. I first realized this when my sister sent me one. She wanted me to crochet something similar (I haven't been able to work on that yet...), when I tried it on I so wanted to throw my hips in all directions, since the dangling coins make such a magical sound.
Then, after a few weeks, I found some belly dancing costumes for sale in a nearby store. I didn't care about the halter top, but I was thrilled about the hip scarves. It is a little bigger and has more coins than the one my sister bought. Btw, I also bought one for my sis and she loved it! Best of all it cost me only P235. each (US$5.58) There was only one piece in black and one in red, so I bought both. (my sister got the red one)

For now, this is what I will wear every belly dancing session ;)



You don't see the bulges here ;)
Btw, here are some ugly costumes :p

6 comments:

Tina said...

I could wear something like that. It looks nice, Mimi.

Mimi said...

Thanks Tina! I love the jiggling sound of the coins.
I saw some elaborate costumes over at the bellydance group at Ravelry...they're beautiful! But those are just for show.
I just wish I could dance as gracefully and be able to complete a dance number.

LG said...

You look great, Mimi!

Mimi said...

Thanks Vik! The coins and beads make me feel special ;)

Janine Del Rosario said...

Hi. I just want to ask where you got your hip scarf. I've been looking for them since I started belly dancing (self-study) and I need one to pump up my energy. =)

Mimi said...

Hi Janine. I bought the hip scarfs at Shoppersville, Katipunan. I don't think they still have it now, since I didn't see one anymore. Maybe you can buy at divisoria or quiapo...or try to order at an online store.